User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detroit City Council (female) member says Obama should "bail out our people".

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Detroit City Council (female) member says Obama should "bail out our people".

DETROIT (WJBK) -- The city of Detroit faces a major financialcrisis and one member of city council thinks President Barack Obama should step in and help.

City Council member JoAnn Watson said Tuesday the citizens support of Obama in last month's election was enough reason for the president to bailout the struggling the city.

"Our people in an overwhelming way supported the re-election of this president and there ought to be a quid pro quo and you ought to exercise leadership on that," said Watson. "Of course, not just that, but why not?"

Nearly 75 percent of Wayne County voters pulled the lever for Obama in November.

"After the election of Jimmy Carter, the honorable Coleman Alexander Young, he went to Washington, D.C. and came home with some bacon," said Watson. "That's what you do."

Young served as Detroit's mayor for 20 years and served as vice chairman of the Democratic National Committee from 1977 to 1981.

The White House has expressed no plans to bailout the cash-crunched city that some experts say could run out of money by the end of the year.

The federal government has bailed out cities in the past, however. In 1975, President Gerald Ford extended more than $2 billion in credit to New York City to help it avoid a financial collapse.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    YOUR THOUGHTS?

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    This City Council has been a big part of Detroit's problems for years. What they need to do is come in and clean house, all these corrupt politicians need to go. Coleman Young was not "honorable".

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Give me some bacon!

"I wonder if mermaid's vaginas smell like fish." Keith Kramer

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j2. View Post
    This City Council has been a big part of Detroit's problems for years. What they need to do is come in and clean house, all these corrupt politicians need to go. Coleman Young was not "honorable".
    It's the same it seems in many places... what did he do to fuck up?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Financially at least, it's going to be a long, hot summer," Ross Perot said. "Now I don't have to tell you who gets hurt first when this sort of thing happens, do I? You people do, your people do. I know that, you know that."

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Corruption

Mayor Young's hand-picked Police Chief, close friend and political advisor William L. Hart, served for 15 years as Chief before being indicted and convicted for stealing $2.6 million from police undercover funds.[10] The Deputy Chief of Police (Kenneth Weiner), also a close associate of Coleman Young, was charged and convicted in a separate case involving investment fraud.[10] The culmination of the many investigations, indictments and convictions of those around Young led many observers to believe he was at the center of widespread corruption in the city government, which included school boards, sanitation, and many other departments, but especially the police department. Since that time, Detroit has been unable to lose its reputation as one of the most corrupt cities in America -- a perception frequently attributed to the period coinciding with Young's long tenure as mayor. However, given close continuing FBI scrutiny extending from his days as a radical left activist, other observers believe that Young was innocent of the many charges of fraud, corruption, kickbacks, and other crimes because Young was extensively investigated by the FBI and other federal agencies for most of his tenure as mayor. Critics of the mayor point to Young's relationship with President Carter and it has been suggested that Carter discouraged the Justice Department from aggressively pursuing any indictments against Young.
    The convictions of Weiner and other members of Young's administration were in part based on evidence from wiretaps on Young's home telephone.

Crime

Young has also been blamed for failing to stem the crime epidemic that Detroit became notorious for in the 1970s and 1980s, perhaps even encouraging it. For example, it has been suggested that the drug dealer White Boy Rick, who also worked for the FEDs and the Detroit Police Department as an informant, was unbothered by police for long periods of time because he dated a relative of Young's. Dozens of violent black street gangs gained control of the city's large drug trade, which began with the heroin epidemic of the 1970s and grew into the even larger crack cocaine epidemic of the 1980s and early 1990s. Major criminal gangs that were founded in Detroit and dominated the drug trade at various times included The Errol Flynns (east side), Nasty Flynns (later the NF Bangers) and Black Killers and the drug consortiums of the 1980s such as Young Boys Inc., Pony Down, Best Friends, Black Mafia Family and the Chambers Brothers. However, it should be pointed out that none of these gangs are currently active, and the leaders of each of these criminal organizations are either dead or serving lengthy prison sentences.

Several times during Young's tenure Detroit was named the arson capital of America, and repeatedly the murder capital of America. Often Detroit was listed by FBI crime statistics as the "most dangerous city in America" during his administration. Crime rates in Detroit peaked in 1991 at more than 2,700 violent crimes per 100,000 people.[15] However, crime continues to be a problem in Detroit long after Young's tenure as mayor ended; according to national statistics the arson rate in Detroit was 6.3x the national average in 2003 and the murder rate was 5.1x the national average.[16] In addition, the majority of Detroit residents, including many blacks, have left the city, leaving a glut of abandoned buildings that have become magnets for drugs, arson, and other crime.

Economic Conditions

Coleman's administration coincided with some periods of broad social and economic challenges in the U.S. including recession, the oil-shock, decline of the U.S. automotive industry and loss of manufacturing sector jobs in the Midwest to other parts of the U.S. and the world. Detroit faced a continuing white flight to the suburbs that began in the 1950s and accelerated after the 1967 Detroit race riots and ongoing crime and drug problems in the inner city. It was common for Young's opponents to blame him for these developments, but Young's defenders responded that other factors such as white resistance to court ordered desegregation, deteriorating housing stock, aging industrial plants and a declining automotive industry leading to a loss of economic opportunities inside the city all contributed to the phenomenon. By the end of Young's term in office Detroit had a population of just under 1,000,000, down from a measured high of 1,849,568 in 1950.[17] Nearly all the outmigration during Young's tenure consisted of white middle-class taxpayers. However, many of the city's residents who have left are also black.
    Economic conditions in Detroit generally trended sideways or downward over the period of Mayor Young's political tenure, with the unemployment rate trending from approximately 9% in 1971 to approximately 11% in 1993, when Young retired. However, most economic metrics (unemployment, median income rates, and city gross domestic product) initially dropped sharply during economic recessions, reaching their "low points" in the late 1980s and/or early 1990s, with the unemployment rate in particular peaking at approximately 20% in 1982

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Detroit city council member JoAnn Watson's property taxes: $68

DETROIT -- A Detroit City Council member who paid $68 in property taxes this year because city records indicate her home doesn't exist, said she thought damage caused by a tornado was the reason her bill was so low.

But JoAnn Watson couldn't recall exactly when the tornado struck her well-kept brick, Tudor-style home on the city's west side, saying it might have been 1993 or 2002. She said she was unaware of a city records discrepancy that has for the past decade listed the parcel as an empty lot, despite the home occupying the plot since 1926.

Owners of comparable homes pay $2,000 to $6,500 in property taxes.

"I've been a target of a smear campaign," Watson told reporters gathered outside her home on Sunday. "... I pay my bills and whatever I was billed, I paid."

When asked why anyone would want to "smear" her, Watson replied: "I don't smoke, I don't drink and I don't sleep around. It's an election year. I'll let you figure it out."

Watson, 58, said the records change came without her involvement and before she was elected to City Council in 2003.

"I pay the taxes. All I know is I had a big drop when my house got hit hard by a tornado," Watson told the Detroit Free Press for a Sunday story. "We had great damage."

Watson said she noticed the drop in her property tax bill, but assumed it was because the tornado left a hole in her roof and damaged the home's foundation. The Free Press said, however, that she did not file an insurance claim.

Watson said that when the lower bill arrived, she paid it without questioning why her taxes dropped, or why they didn't increase after she repaired the house.

"I came to the natural conclusion my house isn't worth much any more," she told the Free Press. "This assessment dropped because of something that had nothing to do with me."

The newspaper said Linda Bade, the city's chief assessor, could not immediately be reached for comment.

On Friday, Watson requested a review of her tax bill and was given a form to request an assessment.

Owners of comparable homes pay $2,000 to $6,500 in property taxes.

"I've been a target of a smear campaign," Watson told reporters gathered outside her home on Sunday. "... I pay my bills and whatever I was billed, I paid."

When asked why anyone would want to "smear" her, Watson replied: "I don't smoke, I don't drink and I don't sleep around. It's an election year. I'll let you figure it out."

Watson, 58, said the records change came without her involvement and before she was elected to City Council in 2003.

"I pay the taxes. All I know is I had a big drop when my house got hit hard by a tornado," Watson told the Detroit Free Press for a Sunday story. "We had great damage."

Watson said she noticed the drop in her property tax bill, but assumed it was because the tornado left a hole in her roof and damaged the home's foundation. The Free Press said, however, that she did not file an insurance claim.

Watson said that when the lower bill arrived, she paid it without questioning why her taxes dropped, or why they didn't increase after she repaired the house.

"I came to the natural conclusion my house isn't worth much any more," she told the Free Press. "This assessment dropped because of something that had nothing to do with me."

The newspaper said Linda Bade, the city's chief assessor, could not immediately be reached for comment.

On Friday, Watson requested a review of her tax bill and was given a form to request an assessment.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Shut the fuck up and fix your own damn problems. he bailed out he car industry in Detroit. Isnt that enough? Maybe Mayor Houston shold invite her to Sprfld to fix our scrap metal problem.

Jo Ann Nichols Watson has served as a municipal legislator since 2003 and was named by The Nation Magazine as the “Most Valuable Local Municipal Official” in 2010. From 1990 to 1997, she was the only woman to lead the nation’s largest branch of the NAACP; and from 1997 until her election in 2003, she was Public Liaison for a Congressional Office in The House of Representatives, addressing Health Care, Racial Profiling, Domestic Violence and Justice issues. From 1979 to 1990 Watson served as the Director of the Downtown Detroit Young Women’s Christian Association and as the Assistant Executive Director of the Young Women’s Christian Association of the U.S.A.

Jo Ann Nichols Watson is the daughter of a Methodist Minister, (her mother, Reverend Lestine Kent Nichols), is a Journalism graduate of The University of Michigan, has broadcast a faith-based talk show “Wake Up Detroit” since 1990, and has sponsored an Urban Journalism Institute for high school students.

Watson was a presenter in The Black Family Summit broadcast on The Word Network in September, 2011; has been a frequent presenter during the Congressional Black Caucus Reparations Braintrust Sessions since 1990, was a panelist before the U. S. House Judiciary Committee in December 2009, a speaker during the United Nations World Conference Against Racism in Durban, South Africa in 2001, a delegate to the Women for a Meaningful Summit Conference in the former U.S.S.R. in 1989; and a keynoter to the State of the Black World Conference in 2003 and 2008 and the American Red Cross National Convention in 1990.. In addition, she has served on the Racial Justice Working Group of the National Council of Churches, President of the National Anti-Klan Network, and on the National Boards of the National Alliance Against Racist and Political Repression, National Association for the Study of the Harassment of African American Officials, the Sugar Law Center of the National Lawyers Guild, and the Center for Constitutional Rights, among other organizations

Jo Ann Nichols Watson is a licensed Social Worker with the State of Michigan, and she has authored numerous publications including: Should America Pay published in 2003 and Urban Metaphysics published in 2011. She is a native Detroiter, eldest of ten, mother of four, grandmother of 4 and has sponsored Detroit students who are attending The Latin American medical school in Cuba; more than 100 students who have attended Central State University in Wilberforce, Ohio; thousands of students who have participated in Summer Jobs programs and she has founded programs such as Bank On Detroit, the Paradise Valley Cultural District, the Micro Loan Program for Small Business in Detroit and the Task Force to Halt Scrap Metal Crimes.
    Last edited by Sangamo66; 12-05-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    Wake me up when its all over when Im wiser and Im older

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A Detroit city council member is asking President Obama to bail out the financially troubled city in return for residents’ overwhelmingly supporting his successful re-election bid.
    “There ought to be a quid pro quo," said Councilwoman JoAnn Watson, according to My Fox Detroit.

Nearly 75 percent of voters in Wayne County, which includes Detroit, voted for Obama on Nov. 6.

“There ought to be a quid pro quo."
    - Councilwoman JoAnn Watson
    "After the election of Jimmy Carter, the honorable Coleman Alexander Young, he went to Washington, D.C., and came home with some bacon," Watson said. "That's what you do," Watson said.

Young was Detroit's mayor for 20 years and served as vice chairman of the Democratic National Committee from 1977 to 1981.

The White House has expressed no plans to bail out the cash-strapped city that some experts say could go bankrupt by the end of the year.
    Michigan officials began state oversight of Detroit six months ago to help the city avoid bankruptcy. But the city-state advisory board says Mayor Dave Bing, a Democrat, needs to move faster in his reform of city agencies and services to avert the city’s financial meltdown.
    According to My Fox Detroit, the federal government has helped cities in the past, including President Gerald Ford in 1975 extending more than $2 billion in credit to New York City to help it avoid a financial collapse.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz2ECRwSoJ8